local property tax reform
Stop the runaway growth
in Texas property taxes
- Texas' property tax system is among the most punitive in the nation.
- According to the Tax Foundation, Texas' property tax system ranks as the 14th most burdensome nationally.
- According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the annual property tax paid by an owner-occupied dwelling in Texas was $2,477 in 2012. By comparison, homeowners in surrounding area (i.e. the South Region) and the nation paid a 3-year average annual tax of $1,411 and $2,091, respectively.
- Rising property tax bills discourage investment and create a drag on the state's economic performance.
- Require voter approval for property tax increases that exceed the lesser of 4 percent or population growth plus inflation.